The battle between Slovenians Tadej Pogačar and Primož Roglič has been voted the cycling moment of 2020 by users of the myCols app. Roglič held the yellow jersey for 11 stages, but was overtaken by Pogačar during the final time trial to the Planche des Belles Filles. With almost 50% of the votes, this battle between the giants in the Vosges ultimately beat the battle around the Stelvio. Where Wilco Kelderman just managed to get the “Maglia Rosa”, but was so demolished in the end that he had to give it up to the eventual winner Tao Geoghegan Hart two days later. These two historic days in the Tour de France and the Giro d’Italia will remain in the memory for a long time.
The Planche des Belles Filles does not yet have the history of the great pass roads of the Alps and the Pyrenees, but the climb, near Belfort, is already one of the classics in the making and a must for the touring cyclist. From 2012 onwards, the cycling tourists have been coming to the Vosges to test themselves against this climb.
The original name of this mountain, which is part of its myth, comes from a legend that tells that in the 17th century, during the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648), all the young girls of a village had climbed to the top of the Planche to escape from the Swedish mercenaries. They all committed suicide.
Chris Froome’s name will always be associated with the summit of this climb in the Vosges. On the first time they climbed it in 2012, the Briton, a future four-time Tour winner, dropped his mask and showed he was the strongest rider in the peloton.
To make the climb even more difficult, the organisation has added an extra kilometre of climbing in 2019, with two additional “walls” with percentages of over 20%, and even an unpaved section. This version is also called Super Planche des Belles Filles.
Almost every rider who wore the yellow jersey after La Planche eventually won the Tour. Bradley Wiggins in 2012, Nibali in 2014, Christopher Froome in 2017 and of course the apotheosis of Tadej Pogačar in 2020.
The complete list of moments in 2020 based on votes by the users of the myCols app.
- Planche des belle Filles – Pogačar turns the Tour upside down and rides Roglič out of the leader’s jersey. With a double victory on La Planche des Belles Filles, the young rider made cycling history. 48%
- Passo del Stelvio – A very strong Rohan Dennis rides hard at the head of the group of favorites and only Hart and Hindley can follow. Kelderman tries to limit the damage in the background and succeeds; the pink jersey is around his shoulders. Breathtaking! 31%
- Angliru – Hugh Carthy wins on the Angliru, Carapaz gets Roglic out of the red jersey. 8%
- Col de Loze – The Slovenian GC leader seems to get rid of the only remaining competitor on the Col de la Loze: Pogačar. 7%
- Peyresourde – Tadej Pogacar’s first attack on the yellow jersey of Primoz Roglic, with the fastest climb time ever ridden on the Peyresourde. 2%
- La Covatilla – Richard Carapaz attacks Primož Roglič’s leader’s jersey, but the Slovenian narrowly resists and eventually wins the Vuelta. 2%
- Etna – Early in the Giro it seems to be over and out for Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates. 1%
- Sestriere – the pink dream of Kelderman explodes, in the last time trial it will be a fight between Hart and Hindley. 1%
- Puy Mary – Egan Bernal withers under the Slovenian assault. 0%
- Mirador de Ezaro – Primož Roglič recaptures the red sweater from Carapaz. 0%